RECIPE – Authentic Rich Beef Rendang
- 700gms Boneless beef short rib or beef chuck
- 5 tbsp canola oil
- 1 can 400ml thick coconut cream
- 1 cup water
- 2 tspn tamarind pulp or concentrate
- 6 kaffir lime leaves, very finely sliced
- 6 tbsp kerisik (toasted coconut)
- 1 tbsp palm sugar
- Fish sauce to season
- 1 cinnamon stick about 2” long
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 star anise
- 3 cardamon pods
- 1 lemongrass cut into 4” lengths and pounded
- 5 golden shallots, peeled and sliced
- 1” piece of galangal
- 3 lemongrass stalks, white part only, finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 “ piece of ginger
- 10 – 12 dried red chilli soaked and deseeded
*To prepare the Kerisik just add the grated coconut to a dry wok and stir continuously until it toasts to golden brown.
- Combine all Curry paste ingredients and blend in a processor until fine.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pot or slow cooker, add the curry paste and ground spices and stir fry until aromatic.
- Add the cubed beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the coconut milk, tamarind juice and water then simmer on medium heat until the meat tenderises.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut) and palm sugar. Season with fish sauce and stir thoughly to combine
- Lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 1 – 1.5 hours (longer for slow cookers) until the meat is really tender and most of the sauce has dried up. Check if more salt or sugar is required to taste.
- Serve with steamed rice and fresh coriander and chilli.