RECIPE – Chicken green curry with noodles
(gaeng kaew gai)
- 60mls Canola oil
- 400gm can coconut cream, separated.
- 1 kg chicken thigh, cut in to pieces
- 250ml (1 cup) chicken stock
- 100mls fish sauce
- 2 tbsp grated palm sugar
- 8 Thai eggplants, trimmed and soaked in acidulated water
- 15 kaffir limes leaves, roughly torn
- 1 bunch Thai basil or Holy basil
- Coriander leaves
- 350 gm Wheat flour noodles
Chilli’s to serve
- 2 red bird’s eye chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Light Soy sauce
Combine the chopped chill and soy as a condiment.
Green Curry Paste
- 1 large lemongrass stalk, white part only, thinly sliced
- 5 golden shallots, peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ kaffir lime or regular lime zested
- Coriander roots, washed and chopped
- 5cm piece galangal, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp shrimp paste
- 15 green chilli’s, chopped
- 50gm Mae Ploy Green curry paste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
Combine all Curry paste ingredients and pound with a mortar and pestle or blend in a processor until smooth.
Heat Canola oil in a large heavy based pan over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook until fragrant, stirring constantly.
Loosen the paste with a splash of the fish sauce and the thickened cream from the coconut milk, keep stirring until the cream separates.
Heat the pan slightly and add the chicken and seal on all sides. Add the remaining coconut cream, fish sauce and chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked.
Reduce the heat and add the palm sugar, Thai eggplant and kaffir lime leaves.
Meanwhile, cook the accompanying noodles in boiling water until just tender and drain.
Serve the required amount of noodles and top with the chicken curry, scatter with fresh herbs and chopped chilli.