RECIPE – Thai Pumpkin soup with Coconut milk
SERVES 6 – 8 AS A MEAL
PREP/ COOKING TIME 60 MINS
- 1 tblsp vegetable oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 kg Jap pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 lemongrass stalk or 3 tspn frozen lemongrass
- 1 tblsp fresh ginger
- 100gms of your favourite red curry paste
- 1 bunch coriander
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre chicken stock or powdered stock
- 100mls Fish sauce
- 400mls coconut milk
Remove the roots and stalks from the coriander and wash thoroughly. Rough chop the roots and stalks and retain the leaves for later.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high and add the onion, garlic and curry paste. Stir until fragrant then add the ginger, lemongrass, coriander roots/ stalks, carrot and pumpkin
Stir all ingredients together for a couple of minutes then add the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Add the coconut milk, some of the coriander leaves and season with the fish sauce, remove from heat and blend with a stick mixer until smooth.
Serve with some freshly chopped chilli and coriander leaf. Enjoy!